Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What's On My Nightstand - January

Okay, there is this little "meme" type thing going on over at 5 Minutes for Books. The point of it is for us to list the books we are reading so others might see them, get interested, and buy them. Or, and I think this is more fun, you kind of find out what sort of people you're dealing with when you see their list.

Anyway, here are some books I am currently reading for this month.

1. The Meaning of the Pentateuch by John H. Sailhamer. This is a deep read, but probably the most worthwhile book you will ever pick up to help you read the Old Testament. I'm serious.

2. The Trellis and the Vine by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne. Fantastic book for pastors/elders regarding the work of the ministry. The elders at our church are going through this together to help us focus on personal discipleship.

3. Calvin by Bruce Gordon. Biographies can help keep you fresh by both warning us of mistakes others have made and, most often in my case, shaming me for laziness. I look forward to gleaning some goodness out of this biography, it's supposed to be one of the best on Calvin's life.

5 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

#1 and 3 are both on my amazon wishlist.

Unknown said...

Welcome!

The Calvin biography does look interesting.

Carrie said...

Well I'm glad you linked up and you can have fun analyzing everyone now. =) haha.

morninglight mama said...

I like to think we're sharing our reading interests in the hopes of connecting with others and possibly finding new-to-you titles!

Enjoy your reading this year, it sounds like your choices mean a great deal to you.

bekahcubed said...

I might have to check out that first one. I've recently discovered that serious theological/doctrinal books are a hole in my reading material--and I'm eager to hear what others are reading so I can start filling in that hole!