Wednesday, December 28, 2005

So I Got Bored and Thought I'd Ramble...

My random thought fo the moment is that I miss old school Christmas songs. As a kid, I listened to Perry Como and Bing Crosby. By the way, I listened to actual records. Static filled, skippy, records. I miss the static and the skip and the crackling sound that a record makes when it finishes. I miss Bing Crosby and Perry Como. Christmas music is now so...so...not Perry Como!

I know that this is probably anathema to admit, but I can not find any "Christian" artist who has a decent Christmas album. I don't know if it is because I'm hooked on old school or what. It bothers me, honestly, because I know that Bing and Perry may not have been Christians at all. It seems like Steven Curtis Chapman or somebody could come up with something to rival the classics that those guys churned out. But in my estimation the modern generation couldn't touch those guys with a ten foot pole.

While I am grousing about music, you may have noted that I live in musical limbo anyway. That does not mean that I am anti-music. It means that the music of today seems to lack the depth, harmony, and beauty of generations gone by. The Christian music of today is, for the most part, lack-luster. This is probably primarily due to the proliferation of artists and the ability to make money. The medicore garbage doesn't get weeded out so well. Kind of like blogging...

Pretty much, this entire post is medicore, boring drivel. A lot like the contemporary Christmas music. It's familiar, not terrible, but decidedly ho-hum. I'm still waiting for a galliant presby to come to the defense of paedo-baptism so I can move on to the Lord's Supper.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Major surgery- hope everything is ok, and will pray for your family tonight. Looks like you will be on diaper duty for a while.

I fancy the old school Christmas music as well- I can hit those notes. Do you ever find yourself in the car or in the office, exalting and praising God, wanting to sing His praises, then turn on the Christian station and find it impossible to do so? That one line in the chorus comes, and I chout it, then I have to wait through 4 or 5 repeats of dribble for it to come back around. For me, when I sing praises wherever, the more meaningful words, the better. I want all four choruses, audible (and understandable)...

Matt Gumm said...

Have you tried Eden's Bridge; Russ Taff; Christmas (Michael W. Smith)?

Anonymous said...

Well said...and I so agree!!

Elizabeth Elliot said, "The great thing about singing worshipful, old hymns is that they carry us far above our petty concerns, trifles, and trivialities. We need to be carried away from ourselves." This quote from Psalms 105:2 was alongside the quote: "Sing unto HIM, sing psalms unto Him: talk ye of all HIS wondrous works." Seems to say it all...

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are getting old...you old whippersnapper you!

Anonymous said...

Greatest Christian artist Christmas album of all time: Andrew Peterson "Behold, the Lamb of God" www.andrew-peterson.com

Daniel said...

WOW! This was one of your bests posts ever!!

okay, I am just trying to be encouraging. ;-D

I am not anti-music myself, but I don't listen to much of it. I do love the crooners though - Jim Reeves even some Johnny Horton Ballands.

My wife and I did hear a really jazzy Christmas song over the holidays - big band stuff. Really nice.

But I am with you on this one brother.

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Johnny Mathis is my "old school" album of choice. I just bought Nat King Cole too!