Wednesday, July 13, 2005

More War Stuff...

Okay, when I started this blog I had no idea this war we are fighting with terrorism would even come up. But now it has, twice. The reason is because I read a couple of other things that so aggravated me that I had to write something or go about fuming all day. Here, I get to heave out my frustrations upon this unsuspecting blog.

First, you can go and read this at Pyromaniac's blog. Basically, the article talks about the BBC's refusal to use the word "terrorist" to describe, well, terrorists. Instead, they opt for words like "militant" or some other such thing. It's downright depressing.

Then, I read this! I am absolutely stunned that this is even an issue. This amounts to irresponsible, war-undermining speech? I am utterly flabberghasted.

Has anyone who reads this blog ever heard Terrell Owens speak before an NFL game? Now, I am not condoning his speeches by any means, but he talks better trash than this National Guard flyer does. Further, he is talking trash before a football game! Why? To boost the morale of his team and to demoralize the other team. Simple psychology.

I have a friend at home named Kenny Chaffin. This guy can talk better trash than anybody I know. He can make his best friends red with fury. With his mouth alone, he can make someone miss an easy lay up, drop an easy pass, or miss a straight putt from five inches. It's truly unbelievable. I'd hate to see the flyers he'd come up with for the National Guard.

These Islamic Terrorists are killing our countrymen. If you were in their units, they would be killing your friends. Plus, they are blowing up civilians. Women and children even! Yet, we can't post a little "let's kill them all and let God sort them out" propoganda from our own Army Headquarters! Is this insane or what?

Do we have an enemy here? Are they bent on cutting off our heads and liberties, or am I completely fooled? I suppose this is the sort of garbage we should post at Army HQ.

"Let's try and terminate the militants. Now, they're not evil, mind you, and their religion doesn't really teach them to destroy us. They are only misguided. Feel bad for them, but don't say bad stuff about them. They will eventually come around if we treat them nicer."

This just makes me want to slap somebody. I know, I know, that's Un-PC and all that, but that's how I feel. Be nice to me, and give me some time and maybe I'll eventually come around.

5 comments:

KathyJo said...

Okay, I have some thoughts...

That second article you linked ends with this quote:

"It's troubling to see a governmental organization dedicated to the security of our country promoting culturally and religiously insensitive ideas," said William Youmans, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Santa Clara. "It's very possible to combat terrorism without offending the cultural values of a major world religion."

I think this is the crux of the problem. Are the people doing this terrorists? You betcha, there's no doubt about it. BUT, the word "terrorists" should NOT be synonomous with "Islam," and lately, it often feels like it is. Were those posters about hating terrorism, or about hating another religion? I'd say the first poster had more to do with the religion, and the second MIGHT not have been seen in such a negative light had the first one not been present.

What we should want is to end terrorism, but that doesn't mean we should attack their religion. It's the fanatics that are the terrorists, not the everyday Islamic believers, but they're coming under fire too.

To continue the analogy from the comment on the previous war on terror post, just because we caught the intruder inside our house at 2am is no reason to blow up his entire neighborhood in an effort to get him.

Sojourner said...

If I grant you that Islam is not the real threat, then I still think that what was put up in the National Guard armory is not bad.

It's not bad because it's not all Islamic folks that they want to send to hell with pig blood: only Islamic terrorists. Why should a non-Jyhadist care if an American bullet sends a terrorist, bent on killing all that don't toe the party-line, straight to hell?

Think of it like this. If a bunch of "Christians" were running around killing off a bunch of innocent Muslims, then would you be offended if Christianity taught that a pig-blooded bullet would send that person to hell? Tell the foolish terroist to stay home and he or she won't have to worry about that.

However, though I granted you that "Islam" is not the enemy, I strongly believe that it is, indeed, the enemy. One of them, anyway. I took a year of Arabic in college, and I studied some of the Koran in Arabic. I'll have to get out my notes, but these folks aren't coming up with this Jihad idea from thin air. Further, the fact that they are backed by a good portion of these Islamic populations indicates that something is wrong.

What do you think?

KathyJo said...

First, I'd have to point out that any number of horrible things have been done in the name of God, and the people committing atrocities usually believed that the Bible, or the Church, was on their side. Think on slavery. Paul doesn't tell those who own slaves to free them because slavery is wrong; he simply tells them to treat them well. Now, I personally believe slavery to be wrong, and I don't believe Paul's words in the Bible make it an okay practice. So even if the Koran seems to put the seal of approval on these actions, that doesn't mean that all Muslims condone terrorist acts any more than all Christians condoned slavery.

In your post, you said:

"These Islamic Terrorists are killing our countrymen. If you were in their units, they would be killing your friends. Plus, they are blowing up civilians. Women and children even! Yet, we can't post a little "let's kill them all and let God sort them out" propoganda from our own Army Headquarters!"

See, you seem to be saying that the actions of terrorists make wrong right. You, who argued against capital punishment on thirstysoul.org, are suddenly all for "kill them all and let God sort them out." And you wonder why non-terrorist Muslims should care about the terrorists.

Well, some of them probably DO approve of the terrorists. From their point of view, WE HAVE BLOWN UP THEIR CIVILIANS. Some of them are undoubtedly at the same point you are at-- "kill them all and let God sort them out."

*sigh* Fight the terrorists? Yes, undoubtedly. But rage and hatred make us stupid; they don't help us win. Plus, many of our own citizens are Muslims, and why should our armed forces go out of their way to offend our own people? We don't have anything similar to that idea in Christianity, but yes, it WOULD bother me if the shoe were on the other foot. Honestly, I don't think it's so big a step to move from that kind of thinking to deciding to just rid the world completely of this menance once and for all. So I think it's ground that needs to be tread carefully.

Anyway, thems my thoughts. :~)

Sojourner said...

If youf found someplace on ThirstySoul where I argued *against* captial punishment, I need to review that website! For the record, I've never said, or meant to say, that I'm against capital punishment.

Now that I've said that, let me say that the Islamofacist world does certainly condone terrorism and heinous persecution. Further, when I argued for killing them all, I was refering to terrorists, not all Muslims everywhere.

You are arguing that Islam doesn't teach the killing of Infidels. Yet, can you say positively that it doesn't? I'm afraid that it is the minority of Muslims who -don't- believe this, not vice versa.

I know that I can tell you that there are a half dozen Muslim clerics in the Middle East saying that it does, and that there are millions of Muslims agreeing. I just recently read an article where 51% of Syrians think that suicide bombing is alright.

Again, I say that if Christians were doing this, then the Church as a whole would condemn it. The US would hunt down people who would do such things. Yet, we see constantly that certain Islamic governments condone terrorism and sponser it, but they opprose women in the extreme. Further, they kill Christians where they find them. This is not isolated. It goes on in every single Islamic state. Even in Turkey where it is technically illegal.

Honestly, if every Islamic state persecutes Christians (and Jews), then wouldn't you think that's a signal that something's wrong here? What exactly would a religion have to condone to be 'evil'?

I am absolutely, positively convinced that Islam is a wretched evil. This is not the same as saying that I think we should kill all Muslims. I think the religion of the Jehovah's Witness is evil, but I've talked to them at my house extremely peaceably. I would do the same with a Muslim, as in fact I have in the past. However, I am not surprised that a wicked religion such as Islam does indeed support the killing and murder of innocents.

Let me put it this way, if 50% of Christians were running about saying that it was good to kill infidels, were forcing their women into almost total bondage, persecuted every other faith inside their country, and that they cheered when civilians were murdered, wouldn't you think that it was obvious that something may be haywire here?

KathyJo said...

First, yep, you need to review your site, because that was definitely the impression I got from one article.

Second, I'm not sure who you're arguing with now, but it's not me. This reply makes me out to be the Great Defender of Islam, and now you're asking me to defend comments that I didn't even make and beliefs that I don't even hold.