Saturday, July 16, 2005

Phil Johnson Blogspotted Me!

Let me start by telling you who Phil Johnson is. Actually, you can go here to get the total scoop on him. Suffice to say, he is the Executive Director of Grace to You Ministries. That's the ministry of John MacArthur. Mr. Johnson also edits many of the books that John MacArthur writes.

On a ministry level, this ministry has affected how I fundamentally do ministry. On the personal level, I owe a debt of gratitude that I can never repay. I praise God for Grace to You.

Here's how I was so profoundly affected. I used to be a Pizza Man. I delivered for Domino's Pizza faithfully for around three years to help cover the bills for Seminary. Every single day while I would drive around like a maniac delivering my delicacies to people, I would be listening to John MacArthur preach on the radio. I cannot count the number of times I had to hurredly wipe off tears in order to ring a doorbell. Further, I cannot tell you how much an idiot I looked like making a mad dash back to my vehicle in order to miss less instruction. The customers must have thought I was one gung-ho pizza man!

I listened to Grace to You for hours on end. I decided one very important thing with the help of that ministry, I was going to preach books straight through and not skip a thing. I had no previous example of this type of preaching. Now, I cannot imagine doing it another way.

Besides all that listening to the radio, I bought commentaries and books by John MacArthur. Rarely do I preach without consulting one of his works. Few others have had so much influence on my life.

All this to say thanks to Phil Johnson and Grace to You ministries. You can check out his stuff everyday at Pyromaniac. I certainly do. And if you look at the most recent blogspotting post, you'll see my name there. Unbelievable.

No comments: