Thursday, September 15, 2005

Why I am Telling My Story

Today I am continuing with the story of my Christian walk.  I want to make a disclaimer again at this point.  I am not holding up my experience as the “norm.”  As I read the Scripture and see how God deals with His children, I find that every single person is unique.  God enjoys variety.  The creation teaches us so.  God also wants you to feel special.  He wants you to feel special because you are special.  He has never given anyone else the adventure that you live.  Your sojourn, your life, your story is unique.  God does not make cookie cutter children.  The body of Christ is wonderfully and marvelously diverse.  I very much look forward to getting to know each and every member in the near future.

Having said that, let me hasten to add that the criteria by which we gauge all of our experiences in this life is that which is established in Scripture.  Our hearts are tricky, deceptive things.  They are not to be trusted.  That’s why we need Scripture to guide us in our sojourn on this earth.  

We also need something else to guide us.  (I know, I know, I saw some of your hands fly to your sword-hilts, but hang on a minute.  I believe whole-heartedly in Sola Scriptura.)  We need teachers to keep us from twisting the Scriptures to please ourselves.  And we need the fellowship of the Church community to keep us from going mad with loneliness and goofy theology.  The Church is more than just a collection of disjointed individuals.  It is a living thing of which we are a part, and it is holy and good.

I am sharing my walk with you because I want you to be encouraged by what you read.  If I am nothing else, I am an example of, not what God can do, but of what God does do in the lives of normal people.  I also happen to believe that it is a good story.  I mean no boast by this.  It is hard to write statements to demean yourself without it sounding weird, so I won’t.  It will suffice to say here that I am altogether unworthy of the affection and position that it has pleased the Lord to bestow upon me.  I am a charity of grace.  And like a beggar, I have greedily extended my hand to receive all that it pleases Him to give.  If He can do these things for me, then He will certainly do them for you.


No comments: