Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Searching for Help

Currently, I have the great pleasure of being the Senior Pastor of a church with two full-time vacancies. The bad side of that is that I am quite busy. The good side, which is far better, is that I get to be here for the hiring of the staff, and I have the opportunity to "tweek" the job descriptions. One of the positions that I am tweaking is going to be called "The Pastor to Families."

Originally, this position was called the "Minister to Children and Youth." I wanted to move away from the language of "minister" because I think that the word "pastor" more clearly defines the role. I changed the latter part from "Children and Youth" to "Families" because I want to send the clear message that this individual is a pastor for everyone. Our goal in this ministry will be to instruct children and students in godliness and doctrine, and to incorporate their parents into that process.

I have admonished both the committee and the church to consider someone that they would feel comfortable calling as their own pastor. He may be younger, and perhaps less experienced, but his character should be such that they would trust themselves to his model of maturity and to his knowledge of the Scriptures. If you cannot do that, then why on earth would you allow this individual to instruct and set the example for your children? Hopefully, we will find such a person...soon.

By the way, did I mention that we are looking for a Worship Pastor as well?

3 comments:

Matt Brown said...

I'll be praying for your church. I'm sure it's not easy having two vacancies, but you know that God will give you the needed strength.

Glad to see you updated your picture, but I miss the frog.

Anonymous said...

Amen brother! Can this be considered a classified as well?

Hear ye, hear ye.....

His timing is perfect and although it would be much easier at times to have them in place now, it's much better to enjoy His timing and plan. We do pray for you brother. Hang in there and thanks!

Anonymous said...

let me just say this. In seeking out men who would be of good service to the Lord, do not be sold on looking at the status quo who have been there. Don't be swept up in seeking to continue with the same few as always, no matter what. I say this to you.
Noah was a drunk. Abraham was way too old. Isaac was but a daydreamer. Jacob was a liar. Joseph was abused. Moses had a stuttering problem. Gideon was wracked with fear. Samson was a womanizer. Rahab was a harlot. Jeremiah and Timothy were way too young. David was unfaithful and was also a murderer. Elijah was suicidal. Jonah ran from God. Job went bankrupt. Peter, the rock, denied he even knew Christ. The disciples fell asleep when asked of their Lord to pray. Martha was a worrier. The Samaritan woman was divorced. Zaccheus was way too small in stature. Paul was a blood thirsty, Satan-driven killer. And, Lazarus was dead. Jesus used all of these mightily, in His power. As we seek those who would be of service, look around.