Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Training Pastors

I heard from a reliable source that Al Mohler was recently asked a question along the lines of, "Dr. Mohler, when do you think that seminaries should stop training young men for the ministry and the local church start doing the job." His response was, "Tomorrow morning." (Dr. Al Mohler is the president of Southern Seminary.) In saying this, I don't believe that Dr. Mohler meant that seminaries are unnecessary, but rather that the churches should not abdicate their role in the training of men for the ministry.

To that end, I have been struggling over a curriculm to begin at my church in order to train men for the ministry. I believe and know that there are men in this church who are gifted for that service. The studies will consist of Systematic Theology, preaching/teaching help, and studies in Biblical exegesis. All of these things go hand-in-hand. My problem is that there is so much to learn that I am having trouble breaking it down into mouthfuls. Should I go with a Systematic Theologies for teaching Systematic Theology, should I write something on my own? Should I look up particular articles considering subjects : i.e., atonement, Divinity of Christ, etc., and pass these out for study and discussion? How long should I spend on each, and where should we start?

I want to do this well, and so I would appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seek counsel from trusted men and women in your church ... ask them what they would like to have taught and in what format .. glean from their ideas and then ask our Father what He would have you do. He promises to give us wisdom when we ask with an undoubting heart.

May He lead you in the way that is best for your congregation.